We often claim to be animal lovers, but would we step up in a situation where our four-legged friends need us the most? Hopefully the answer is a resounding YES, but you never know...
For the 20 cases below, the answer was easy: absolutely. These humans went above and beyond in their efforts to keep the furry, feathered, and curly-tailed cuties in their life safe from harm. Take a look.
1. This little piglet, named Chris P. Bacon, was born without the use of his back legs. So a veterinarian made him this snazzy wheelchair out of K'Nex!
2. Biologist Adam Warwick came to the rescue of this 400 lb. black bear when a tranquilizer dart caused it to panic and run into the nearby waters. It was safely returned to Osceola National Forest in Florida.
3. Soldiers nursed a baby goat discovered in debris during the Battle of Okinawa in World War II.
4. This scared baby elephant made it through his medical check-up with the help of these extra hands.
5. These Norwegian boys save a baby lamb from a raging river.
6. This bird was so overwhelmed by heat exhaustion that it fell from a tree. This woman gave him a nice cool birdbath to recover.
7. Two men swam into dangerous and raging floods to save this poor, terrified fox.
8. This woman loves dogs so much that she regularly feeds dozens of strays in her neighborhood.
9. This young boy risked his own life during flooding in Bangladesh to save a small deer.
10. Chinese scientists wear these "costumes" while caring for young pandas to help them better assimilate to the wild when they're older.
11. This young Filipino boy carried his pet dog on his shoulders during monsoon season.
12. This woman treaded flood waters while making sure her tiny puppy stayed safe.
13. Two boys used teamwork to rescue this puppy from a flood drain reservoir.
14. This firefighter gave water to a parched koala following a large brushfire in Australia.
15. Cathal Pendred, a professional MMA fighter, tweeted this photo of when he saved a baby dolphin who had gone too far ashore.
16. An officer makes sure this mother duck and her ducklings make it safely across the road.
17. This baby kangaroo was rescued from the floods in Ipswich, Australia.
18. When this completely helpless porpoise washed up into a rice field following a tsunami, Ryo Taira made sure it got back where it belonged.
19. This adorable baby howler monkey was nurtured following treatment for a serious arm injury.
20. A man in India helps a mother cat move her kittens following a flood.
(via Life Buzz.)
Animals often need our help more often than we realize. These heroes never forgot that, and it's important we all keep that in mind, too.